The practice of arranging cut flowers for decorative purposes or artistic appreciation is known as the art of flower arrangement.
Flower arrangement distinguishes itself by utilizing plant materials to artistically recreate the beauty of nature and the essence of life.
The resulting works are infused with vitality, making this the hallmark of the art of flower arrangement. While modern flower arrangement trends permit the use of non-plant materials as accessories, the essence of flower arrangement remains rooted in the use of plant materials.
Flower arrangements can be categorized based on their purpose:
1. Ceremonial flower arrangement: This type of flower arrangement is used in various ceremonies, such as welcoming guests, weddings, and social etiquette activities involving friends and relatives.
2. Artistic Flower Arrangements: These are created to beautify and decorate environments or for display in exhibitions, where they are appreciated as works of art.
Flower arrangements can also be categorized based on the type of container used:
1. Vase Flowers: Created using tall containers like ceramic or glass vases.
2. Plate Flowers: Made in shallow, wide-mouthed containers resembling a flower in full bloom.
3. Bowl Flowers: These arrangements utilize bowls as containers.
4. Basket Flower Arrangements: Flower arrangements that use baskets as containers.
5. Wall-Hanging Flower Arrangements: Flowers are hung from beams or displayed on walls.
Based on the decorative purpose, flower arrangements can be further divided into:
1. Table Flowers: These arrangements are placed on tables and countertops, serving various purposes like hall flowers, study flowers, coffee table flowers, etc.
2. Dress Flowers: Flower arrangements designed to decorate the human body, including head flowers, corsages, shoulder flowers, wrist flowers, and garlands.
Flower arrangements are also categorized based on the nature of the flowers used:
1. Fresh Flower Arrangement: This type uses freshly cut flowers, characterized by their natural beauty and vibrant appearance. Fresh flower arrangements are suitable for grand occasions and celebrations, but they have a short lifespan and are less effective in low-light conditions.
2. Dried Flower Arrangement: Dried flowers are used for these arrangements, retaining the natural form of plants and offering a wide range of colors.
They are durable, easy to manage, and can be used in places with low light, such as corridors, ground floors, dark restaurants, and cafes. However, they are not suitable for humid environments.
3. Artificial Flower Arrangement: Artificial flowers made from materials like silk, polyester, or plastic are used to mimic various plant types.
They come in a variety of designs and colors, offering long-lasting beauty and easy maintenance. Artificial flower arrangements are suitable for large-scale stage decorations, window displays, and home decor.