Monstera back bamboo is a fast-growing, evergreen jungle climber from the Araceae family. It is native to Mexico and Central America, where it can be found in wet, tropical jungles. Its leaves are thick and leathery, with pinnate venation, and its fruits are red or yellow. It is a popular houseplant and is prized for its unique foliage.
The shape of the leaves is very strange, each has holes, and very much like the back of the tortoise, is a famous foliage plant that likes a warm and humid environment, avoids strong light exposure and drying, lives in the shade
The soil is the best rotten leaf soil, needs to spray water frequently in summer, and the temperature in winter is not lower than 5℃. Monstera is often attached to tall trees in tropical rainforests. Like a warm and humid environment, avoid strong light exposure and drying.
The suitable temperature for growth is 20-25 ℃, the temperature at night in winter is not lower than 10 ℃ at the seedling stage, mature plants can tolerate 5 ℃ for a short time, and freezing injury is easy to occur when the temperature is lower than 5 ℃. When the temperature rises above 32 ℃, the growth stops.
It is necessary to spray water frequently in summer to maintain high air humidity and leaves are often kept clean to facilitate photosynthesis. When planting for the first time, we should set up a frame to support it, and pay attention to the pruning and renewal of the whole plant after shaping
The culture method of tortoise back bamboo can be considered from the aspects of the best breeding time, the best growth soil, humidity, temperature and light.
The main results are as follows:
1. The best propagation time is stem-node cutting, and the best time is from April to May in spring and from September to October in autumn.
2. The best growth soil: tortoise back bamboo is suitable for growing in a fertile and loose environment with sufficient water absorption. In addition, it is necessary to provide slightly acidic soil with good water retention, such as rotten leaf soil and peat soil.
3. Growth humidity requirements: the soil of culturing tortoise back bamboo can be kept moist. Especially in summer, summer is hot and dry, so it is necessary to spray water frequently to maintain high air humidity, and the leaves are often kept clean to facilitate photosynthesis.
4. The optimum growth temperature: the monstera likes to warm and moisturize, and it can grow well at normal room temperature. It is not cold-resistant and the overwintering temperature is required to be above 5 ℃
5. The best growth light: monstera shade, avoid direct sunlight, therefore, it is best to put the tortoise back bamboo in an indoor bright place.
Points for the attention of monstera:
1. Use soil and change pots. Monstera needs to be changed once a year. It is most suitable to change the basin from March to April. When changing the basin, remove the old soil, cut off the withered roots, and then add mature organic fertilizer or phosphorus and potash fertilizer as base fertilizer.
2. The growing environment. The monstera is not resistant to the cold because of the scorching sun. In summer, monstera should be placed indoors or under the shade to avoid direct sunlight. Move the monstera indoors to keep warm in winter.
3. Keep the basin soil moist. Monstera likes to be moist and needs plenty of water during its growth. Therefore, it is necessary to keep the basin soil moist at all times to avoid the bamboo wilting on the back of the tortoise. Water every 2-3 days; spray water on the leaves when the weather is dry to keep the air moist.
4. Fertilize properly. Monstera is a more fertilizer-loving flower. From April to September, it can be fertilized once every 15 days.
5. Pruning in time. The newly planted and growing plants should be strapped up in time, and attention should be paid to pruning the whole plant
after it is finalized, to be natural and beautiful.
6. Prevention and control of diseases and insect pests. Monstera is extremely vulnerable to shell insects, so it is necessary to closely monitor and actively prevent diseases and insect pests and eliminate them in time once they occur.